2/23/2021

Duplicated Calling Cards - Name Change

In Second Life, residents may pass a calling card. If you have someone's calling card, you can easily view their profile from your inventory, by double clicking the card. Recently I noticed my calling card I had placed in a new note had my original name prior to my name change. I wondered why this wasn't updated and found out it is due to my UUID. 


In Second Life every object and every avatar has an UUID. An UUID key is a unique number that all avatars are assigned. Everything is tied to your UUID. It's like your Social Security Number, if you live in the U.S.A. The name change is only designed to enable us to change our name. Our account UUID is not changed. This confused me because there are two calling cards redirecting people to the same profile. Its a small annoyance. If I open the calling card with the old name, it opens the correct profile and shows the new name there.

So much is tied to your UUID, if that changed, it would break so much for you and for others. Normally, UUIDs are mostly interest only to scripters, though some security systems ask you to enter avatars' UUIDs on notecards, to give them access. This means that it's not really possible to completely un-associate from your old name. 

Name changes were never intended to be completely anonymous. When you change your name you keep the same avatar key. Your old names will stay reserved to an account and LL is allowing people to switch back to them. Display names are useless as they can change on a whim.

UUID is an abbreviation for Universally Unique Identifier.
Here you can read all about it: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/UUID

No comments:

Post a Comment